Wednesday 10 February 2010

In celebration of Warwickshire potatoes.

This week has seen a personal epiphany. I have finally woken up and taken action that means I will not have to buy my vegetables from the supermarket anymore. My journey started last week when I watched Jimmy’s supermarket Secrets. I naively looked in amazement as Jimmy Doherty talked through the journey of a potato from seed to shop. The seeds from Scotland are transported to Egypt to be planted in sand, that has no nutrients, in the middle of a desert. Water is brought in (by lorry I think), nutrients are added and the crops are then continually sprayed on a twenty four hour basis. The potatoes are then driven to a factory where they are packed in peat that has been imported from Ireland. This is all before they start their long journey back to Britain’s supermarkets.
I was very happy when, the next day, my friend asked me if I would be interested in going to a social at Canalside Community Food in Radford Semele, with a view to sharing a weekly vegetable bag. We arrived to a lovely welcome party of people singing around a fire with cups of tea. I was introduced to Caz and Tom, who run the farm, and we were taken on a guided tour through fields of healthy looking crops. All the fruit and vegetables are grown organically and collected from a yurt. Having started out thinking that it would be a hassle to have to get my vegetables from somewhere other than the supermarket, I quickly realised that this would be an enjoyable and educational weekly outing for me and the kids.
I came into work and finished off the Press Release I have been writing for Action 21’s new Community Allotments in Dobson Lane, Whitnash. We need more volunteers to help out at the Woodland Work parties on Saturday 20th February 10 - 3pm and Saturday 20th March 10 - 3pm. There should be approximately forty allotments available in April. Twenty have already been allocated but there are currently twenty left.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Woodland Work Parties call Action 21 on 01926 456067 so our Project Manager Louise knows how much soup to make. If you would like to apply for an allotment you can pick up an application form from Whitnash Library, or download it by following the link posted on on Action 21's website.
If all goes to plan these practical projects will soon be showcased at Action 21’s new Sustainability Centre. Apparently we will be growing a few potatoes there too. If you have a project you would like to showcase please call Rick on 01926 456067 or email rick@action21.co.uk