Wednesday 15 September 2010

Change the Envelope

After a wonderful summer exploring the Devonshire countryside, by visiting three or four car boot sales a week, I am left with a dilemma. I bought one hundred cards for £1 but they don't have envelopes. I am loathe to invest in new ones because this would defeat the object of getting a bargain, whilst reducing my consumption, and someone else's waste. What's more they are exactly the same size as the envelopes used by the utilities companies, and I get more bills in a month than I need envelopes for birthday cards. So, my dilemma; how do I re-use an old envelope and turn it into a quirky, stylish and ethical addition to my card, rather than an over selotaped expression of meanness? The answer has to lie in the good old felt tipped pen. A few squiggly lines, a nice personal message, or a play on their name, and an old envelope soon becomes compensation for the fact I have not actually made the card. It brings a childlike quality of yesteryear, that most adults would be only too grateful for, when they have a birthday reminder that time is marching on. Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Any complaints can be sent back in the same envelope.